;

Eight die in Philippines after drinking coconut wine

0 views
0%

Eight people have died and hundreds are in hospital in the Philippines after drinking coconut wine believed to contain high levels of methanol, authorities said Monday.The victims all attended gatherings over the weekend in the town of Rizal, southeast of Manila, and complained of stomach pains after drinking the wine, known locally as “lambanog”.  They had all bought the liquor – made from a coconut sap with an alcohol content of 40 per cent – from the same shop, according to local media reports.Nine of the sick are in a critical condition, Jose Jonas Del Rosario, spokesman for the capital’s Philippine General Hospital, told AFP.The situation is so dire all doctors on leave have been called back to work to deal with the crisis. “We asked many of our doctors on holiday leave to report to work just to attend to the patients,” he said, adding that the need to treat large numbers who arrived with symptoms of alcohol poisoning meant other people were turned away. In total, 300 victims were taken to hospitals. All drank the same brand of wine, police said.The local government has imposed an immediate ban on the sale of the beverage, which is in high demand over the Christmas holidays.  Rizal’s mayor, Vener Munoz, told local media that two people who were in critical condition were on the mend, and that the wine had been produced there.”All had a sad history of lambanog ingestion,” Reuters quoted the local police department as saying. “Some bought for leisure drinking and birthday party, while others were donated by local officials during their Christmas party.” Much of the coconut wine on the market is manufactured by locals in backyard operations. The government had previously warned against selling unregistered alcoholic beverages.Del Rosario, a doctor, said one of the byproducts of coconut wine fermentation is methanol, which can cause blindness and death. Some manufacturers keep the methanol in, because it means greater volume and more profit, he added.Last year, more than 10 people died from drinking coconut wine, samples of which were found by the government regulator to have a high methanol content. Eight die in Philippines after drinking coconut wine
dailymail,news

source

From:
Date: February 20, 2020

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *